Each year we run a fancy dress-based fundraising day to celebrate the finale of the Big Pedal.
Last year, thousands of children across the UK transformed into their favourite superhero for the day. Everyone had a great time, and raised thousands of pounds for Sustrans.
We’re excited to be running the superhero fundraising event again in the 2018 challenge. It’s happening on the last day, Friday 4 May, and there are even more ways to get involved, have fun, celebrate and fundraise for Sustrans. Here’s how:
- Dress up! Encourage everyone at your school to dress up for the day and donate £1
- Decorate! Ask pupils to decorate their bikes/scooters as ‘superhero mobiles’ for the day or organise your own ‘bling your bike’ session and donate £1
- Buy our exclusive Big Pedal superhero wheelie transfers or other goodies from our online shop to give out during the challenge.
Superhero day is a great way to involve all pupils in the Big Pedal even if they don’t cycle or scoot. If you can’t take part on this day you can choose another day during the challenge or even another time in the year.
All money raised for Sustrans will help us to enable thousands of children to walk, cycle or scoot every day – making the school run safer and healthier.
How it works
- Let us know that you want to take part in the superhero fundraising day by checking the box at registration. Are you already registered for the Big Pedal, but not yet signed up to the fundraising day? You can sign up by logging in to your account.
- Download our fundraising guide full of hints and tips to make the day a success (coming soon!)
- Give the ‘letter for parents’ to your pupils to take home so their parents or guardians know all about the Big Pedal and the fundraising superhero day (coming soon!)
- Buy some Big Pedal goodies from our online shop to give out during the event or on superhero day
- On the fundraiser day, collect £1 from each child and send the total to us at Sustrans
- Upload photos of your superheroes to the Big Pedal website
How your support makes a difference
We’d like to see every child enjoying a healthier, happier and safer journey to school. All funds raised through the Big Pedal will support Sustrans’ work with schools across the UK.
Since 2004 we have worked with thousands of schools across the UK to increase levels of walking, cycling and scooting. Within just one year of working with a school we typically achieve double the number of children cycling every day.
We’ve also developed hundreds of safe routes to schools on the National Cycle Network and key cycling and walking links so young people can get from their homes to school and local attractions and amenities easily by bike, foot or scooter.
We’re doing some great work with young people but there is still a lot more to do.
Just £20 could put one child through our schools cycling programme, giving them the skills and confidence to get about their neighbourhood under their own steam – opening their eyes to a world of new possibilities that will help make them happier, healthier and ultimately make a lifetime of difference.